Homemade Haldi Besan Ki Burfi
October 9, 2021
Sweets are essential part of Indian culture, prepared for every occasion and celebration. Made with besan, ghee, sugar and turmeric powder, its simple ingredients make it easy and scrumptious handmade Indian dessert.
- 2 cup Besan or Gram Flour
- 2/3 cup Ghee or Clarified Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- ½ cup Water
- ¼ tsp Cee Pee Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Cardamom Powder
- Keep a heavy bottom pan or kadai on low flame and add besan to it.
- Roast the besan on low flame stirring constantly.
- After about 2minutes, when besan is roasted, add ghee. Make sure to add it in batches. Begin with adding 1/3 part of ghee while keeping the flame low. Keep stirring.
- Add next 1/3 part of ghee after 5 minutes. Mix it properly and keep stirring while besan is being roasted.
- Add the last part of the remaining ghee. Mix it and repeat the process.
- Bsean will slowly begin changing the colour by now. It is important to stir the mixture continuously, so that lumps are not formed and besan is evenly roasted.
- The mixture is roasted when it becomes slightly runny in texture and releases some ghee.
- It is time to add haldi that provides beautiful golden yellow hue to the mixture. Mix it well.
- Once besan is completely roasted and nice golden colour, turn off the flame, keep the pan aside, and allow it to cool. Keep stirring the besan after you take off the flame, as pan is still hot and besan may burn.
- It takes around 20-25 minutes to roast the besan completely.
- For sugar syrup, in a heavy bottm pan add sugar and water and mix them properly. Start dissolving sugar before turning on the flame.
- Cook the sugar and water solution on medium flame. Add cardamom powder to it and cook it for another 6 to 7 minutes on medium low flame. The sugar syrup should be not too thin and not too thick. Its consistency should be sticky and should not reach one string consistency.
- Mix the besan mixture and sugar syrup when both are slightly warm. Mix them thoroughly and pour the mixture in a greased pan. Sprinkle chopped nuts of your choice.
- Keep it aside and let it set hard. Cut it into small pieces and enjoy homemade haldi besan ki burfi.