Mangai Sambar/Raw Mango Sambar Recipe
November 22, 2021
Packed with flavours, Mangai Sambar is refreshingly delicious stew with freshness of raw mango. It is popular lunch dish served with rice across Southern India.
- 1 small Raw Mango, about 100 gm, not too sweet and not too sour
- 1 Large Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small Tomato, finely chopped
- 2 Green Chillies, cut into 2 to 3 pieces
- 1 small gooseberry sized Tamarind
- 1/3 Cup Arhar Dal
- 2-3 tbsp Cee Pee Sambar Masala
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Black Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Cee pee Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 pinch Cee Pee Bandhani Hing
- 1 Sprig Curry Leaves
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Cooking Oil
- Carinader Leaves, finely chopped for garnish
- Begin with soaking tamarind in one-cup hot water for around 15 minutes. Squeeze out all the pulp and set aside.
- Cut raw mangoes into 2 to 3 inches pieces. Also, wash arhar dal soak in 1 cup water for 15 minutes.
- Put the soaked dal in pressure cooker along with turmeric powder. Cook it for 3 to 4 whistles. Let the steam release naturally. Mash the arhar dal and keep it aside for late use.
- In a pan, heat some oil. Add mustard seeds to it and let them sputter. Now add cumin seeds, hing and methi dana or fenugreek seeds. Roast them for about 10 seconds.
- Now add onions, and sauté them until they turn translucent.
- Add tomato, curry leaves and green chillies. Cook until tomatoes are mushy.
- It is time to add tamarind pulp and salt. Let the dal come to boil.
- Add raw mango pieces, cover the pan and let it simmer for 3 to 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Add Sambar Powder masala and mix thoroughly so that no lumps are formed.
- Pour the mashed dal into the pan and mix to combine all the ingredients well. Add water to adjust consistency to your taste and mix it.
- Bring it to boil and then let it simmer on low flame for 3 to4 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and turn of the flame.
- Serve the delicious Mangai Sambar peeping hot with hot rice.
Try this recipe for Breakfast, share the video/picture with us on facebook/instagram and get featured #recipesCeePeeKeSang