Lentils with Hing Powder: Third Recipe
November 28, 2021
- 1 Cup Arhar Dal, washed and soaked in hot water for 15 minutes
- 2 tbsp Cee Pee Sambar Masala
- 1 teaspoon Tamarind extract
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Black Mustard Seeds
- 6 Fresh Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Turmeric Powder
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Hing Powder
- 2 tbsp Ghee or Clarified Butter
- 1 Dried Red Chilli, broken in two pieces
- ½ Onion, chopped
- 1 Tomato, diced
- Vegetables of choice, peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp Fresh Coriander Leaves, chopped for garnish
- Begin with putting hing in small amount of hot water and let rest for 5-7 minutes. Extract the water and keep aside.
- Next, in a pressure cooker, add soaked arhar dal, turmeric powder, a table spoon of oil and hing water. Cook it for three whistles and let the steam release naturally. Mash the dal with a ladle.
- Now add to the pressure cooked diced vegetables, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and salt. Add two cups of water; give it a good stir and cook it on medium high flame for one whistle. Ensure that vegetables are not mushy.
- Once again, let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid and add tamarind extract to the cooker. Add sambar powder and mix it thoroughly so that no lumps are formed.
- Adjust the consistency of the sambar by adding more water according to your liking.
- Let the sambar simmer over low-medium heat for another 10 to 12 minutes so that tamarind flavours is absorbed properly and raw water is cooked. Make sure cooker is uncovered.
- Serve it hot with variety of dishes including rice, idli, dosa, vada and more and enjoy the delish flavour of hing.
Try this recipe for Breakfast, share the video/picture with us on facebook/instagram and get featured #recipesCeePeeKeSang