Choley Masala Powder and Unique Chaat Recipes
A peeping hot bowl of pindi chana or Punjabi chole with fresh bhaturey, pooris or kulcha with salad and pickles vegetables, the entire meal not only sounds delicious but the visuals and delectable aromas are enough to makes one salivate with hunger. The magic in the flavours comes from combination of spices blend together. However, as is the case with all spice blends, the recipe and flavour of Punjabi chole masala powder varies for every household. A large assortment of spice in the mix usually includes coriander seeds, bay leaf, red chilli powder, mustard seeds, star anise, turmeric, cloves, dried ginger powder, garlic powder, fennel etc, but with each recipe, the ration differs.
Generally, choley are eaten with hot bhaturas or fluffy puris and even parathas, exuding enticing aromas with a large variety of side dishes. Pindi chana, a classic delicacy from Punjabi repertoire, prepared with ingredients such as ginger, onion, tomatoes and garlic brings an irresistible flavour profile. However, our collection of recipes today includes choley in form of famous Indian Street Food better known as Chaat. Tangy, sweet, sour and spicy with variety of textures, Indian chaats are lip smacking.
Chaat Recipes with Chole Masala
Tempting aromas wafting on streets with spicy tangy flavours andcolourful visuals calls for a delish street food treat. Our recipes today combine the popular street food of India with the classic Punjabi chana masala.
Chole Samosa Chaat
A popular roadside snack in Delhi, this dish is a fusion of crispy samosas, piping hot chana masala, cool curd, tangy and sweet chutneys crunchy onions and sev and the result is mouth-watering potpourri of deliciousness.
- 2 cups Kabuli Chana, soaked and boiled
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 2 Garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch Ginger, julienned
- 1 cup Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Green Chilli, chopped
- 2 tsp Cee Pee Punjabi Choley Masala Powder
- 1 tsp Black Salt
- 1 tsp Cee Pee Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Cee Pee Amchur
- Salt to taste
- 4 Samosas
- 4 tbsp Tamarind Jaggery Chutney
- 6 tsp Coriander Chutney
- 2 tsp Ginger Garlic and Tomato Chutney
- 2 tbsp Onions, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Crispy Sev
- 4 tbsp Coriander Leaves, finely chopped (for garnish)
For the Choley
- In a pan or a wok, heat some oil and add garlic and ginger. Sauté for few seconds on medium flame until the raw smell of garlic is gone.
- Add tomatoes, mix it well and cook the content until tomatoes are mushy and soft. Stir occasionally over medium flame. It will take approximately 4 to 5 minutes.
- Next, add green chillies, black salt, red chilli powder, Punjabi chole masala powder, amchur, little salt and 2 tbsp of water. Mix it well and cook the masala for one minute while stirring it occasionally.
- 4. Add boiled chickpeas and ¼ cup of water. Mix once again evenly and let the chanas cook for around 4-5 minutes while mashing chanas gently using a masher.
- 5. Once cooked to desired consistency, divide them in four equal parts and keep aside.
For Chole Samosa Chaat
- For chaat, in a bowl roughly break a samosa into small pieces. Put a portion of chana prepared over it evenly.
- Pour a tbsp of tamarind chutney, 1½ tsp of green chutney, a tbsp of onions and a tbsp of sev over the chana samosa mixture. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Repeat the steps for 3 more plates and serve fresh and crispy chaat.
Bakes Chana Pockets
A healthy version of choley bhature, these bakes chana pockets are packed with scrumptious filling of tangy and spicy chanas and fluffy and soft outer covering.
For the Dough
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- ½ cup Melted Butter
- tbsp Instant dry yeast
- ½ tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
For the Chole
- 2 cups White Chickpeas
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- 2 small cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tsp Cee Pee Cumin Seeds
- 2 Bay leaves
- 4 Cloves
- 1 tsp Cee Pee Turmeric Powder
- 2 tsp Cee Pee Choley Masala Powder
- A pinch of Cee Pee Hing
- 1 tsp Cee Pee Jeera Powder
- 1 tsp Cee Pee Dhaniya Powder
- 2 tsp Cee Pee Kasuri Methi
- Salt to taste
- ½ Onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Green chilli, finely chopped
- ½ cup Tomatoes, finely chopped
For the dough
- 1. Begin with combining yeast, sugar and warm water in small bowl. Mix properly, cover it with a lid and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a deep bowl, mix plain flour with yeast, sugar and water mixture and knead it into soft dough with enough warm water.
- 3. Add butter to the dough, knead it again, cover it with wet muslin cloth, and rest it for 45 minutes.
- 4. After 45 minutes, knead the dough again to remove excess air and keep aside for further use.
- In a pan, heat some oil and add cinnamon, cloves, cumin seeds, bay leaf and onions to it. Sauté for 6 six minutes on medium heat.
- Next, add tomatoes, green chillies, ginger garlic paste, and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat or until tomatoes are cooked. Keep stirring occasionally.
- It is time to add hing, haldi powder, choley masala, jeera powder, dhaniya powder, dried fenugreek leaves, and salt. Mix it evenly and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes on medium flame. Stir frequently.
- Add white chickpeas, mix thoroughly and let them cook on medium flame for 5 minutes. Keep stirring while mashing the chanas gently with a spoon.
- Divide the chanas into 8 equal portions and keep aside.
For baked pockets
- Divide the dough in 16 equal balls and roll them into a 3” diameter discs used plain flour.
- Place the chole mixture in the centre of the disc, apply water along its edges and place another disc over it. Press it well along the circumference and seal it tightly.
- Repeat the above steps to create 7 more pockets and keep rest them for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the pockets on a greased baking tray at equal distance and bake them in a pre-heated over at 200 degree Celsius for 15 minutes.
- Apply a brush of butter over each pocket and serve fresh and hot with chutney or pickle of your choice with tea or coffee.
With Ceepees’s Choley Masala Powder, create your own unique dishes and chaats for morning breakfast or evening snack. Now available online at Amazon, BigBasket and Grofer, pick your favourite spices by Cee Pee at comfort of your home and at most reasonable prices.